Sunday, February 6, 2011

AFI Update

We're about a week into February and I'm still moving along on my AFI Top 100 list. I haven't watched as many movies as I had planned, but I'm slowly making progress and I've added in a few that seemed necessary.

Last time I wrote about the list I had already watched The Godfather (1972). After that it took me a bit, but I also watched The Godfather, Part II (1974), which is also on the list. And honestly, could I really have stopped at that point and not watched Part III (1990)? Of course not. I have to say that Part I is my favorite and quite possibly one of my top movies of all time. Part II is phenomenol as well and Part III is good. I know that people get down on Part III, but I think that some of those people haven't even seen it. They're just going along with what they've heard. Does it match the brillance of the first two? No. But, it's part of the story and I think it's necessary to complete the whole picture. And what is the whole picture? A devastating tragedy. Michael Coreleone didn't want the family business, but he took it over because he loved his father. And as a result, he lost everything else. Truly heartbreaking. The whole thing guts me. If you haven't seen them, you should. One, for the story, and two, for the brillance of Al Pacino.

Besides The Godfather Saga, I've also watched Duck Soup (1933) and On the Waterfront (1954). What can I say about Duck Soup? It's a Marx Brothers movie. Zany. Screwball. Ridiculous. But, I actually found it somewhat entertaining and good for a laugh. On the Waterfront is fantastic. Marlon Brando is a superb actor and portrays beautifully a young man wrestling with a major moral decision that has far-reaching consequences. It's interesting to watch Brando in his younger days after seeing him in The Godfather.

One thing that I'm really coming to appreciate is the further exposure to actors of different generations. It's one thing to see a movie or two that someone has done. It's another to watch actors progress through their careers film after film. The AFI list will help me out with that, and I'm sure I'll add in a few films here and there as well.

Next up: After a short break to watch a more recently released film (Let Me In), it'll be on to Cabaret (1972).

1 comment:

Lacy said...

cabaret with liza?

I'm so pumped you are doing this! I have too short an attention span for movies, I think. Or maybe I just don't like cinema as much as the next person. Maybe I'm full of it?