Sunday, April 14, 2013

But even if he doesn't...

King Nebuchadnezzar creates a golden statue, tells everyone they have to worship it, and also says that if they don't, he'll kill them.

Then enter some guys who must have had a beef because they tell the king, "But there are some Jews whom you have set over the affairs of the province of Babylon—Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego—who pay no attention to you, Your Majesty. They neither serve your gods nor worship the image of gold you have set up.”

Of course, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego won't worship this idol because they worship the one true God.  Consequently, the king has these three guys come out, and he gives them another chance to bow down.  He tells them, basically, do it or die.  If you ask me, he seems a little prone to anger and rash behavior, but moving on...


Well, these guys go ahead and say, "King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from You Majesty's hand."


I read this, and I think, yeah Nebuchadnezzar, in your face.  God can save them from you.  You don't scare these guys. Ha!

Then I continue reading, and they say, "But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.

Wait, what?  What was that?  You said even if he doesn't...You mean, even if he doesn't, you won't be angry and bitter and hate him and stop believing?  You won't curse him and ask him how he could do that to you after you were so faithful?  You won't say, "What a joke!  I never should have believed.  What a waste of time!"


Because, man, I think that's how I would react.  I would probably think, seriously, I talked you up and you just let me die?  How could you do that to me?  Don't you love me?  Why wouldn't you want to save me from that pain and from the cutting off of my life?  How could you watch as someone harmed me?  What's wrong with you?  How could I believe in a God who would let that happen?  I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I would say.


I want that though, man.  Seriously.  I want to be able to say, "I know that God can deliver me from any terrible thing that could happen to me, and yet, even if he doesn't, even if something happens and it is ridiculously horrible, I will still worship God, and I will still give up my life in service of him."


That blows my mind though, and I feel like I'm not there, and I don't know how to get there, but that's where I want to be.


(Daniel 3)











No comments: