Monday, January 17, 2011

New Year's Goal

I didn't want to make any New Year's resolutions this year. I find that resolutions die after the fervor of the holidays has gone. But, what about a New Year's goal? For instance, something you might just do once, or even a few times, but it doesn't involve a real change in lifestyle. This sounds like a much better idea. And definitely one that would take a lot less mental effort...

In 1997, hundreds of film critics, artists, and historians got together to look back over the last 100 years and choose the top 100 movies of all time. Then, on the 10th anniversary of the project, in 2007, the group got together again to update the list. 23 movies were removed from the list and 23 were added. So, if we take both lists together we end up with 123 of the greatest movies in film history.

Personal background: I love movies. So, I thought, what better goal for 2011 than to watch all the movies on AFI's list! Now, this goal is slightly bigger than a one-time happening, as I'll have to watch about two or so movies a week on average to get it done, but other than time commitment I think it'll be a pretty enjoyable and easy goal to complete!

Out of the 123 movies I think I've seen about a quarter of them, but I figure I should watch them again with a more critical eye. I also want to do a little background research about the actors, director, and politics of the movies. There are only two movies that I won't watch again: A Clockwork Orange (1971) and The Sixth Sense (1999). I've seen both of them once, and that was enough for me...

At this point I'm on a pretty good roll. Since January 1 I've watched Pulp Fiction (1994), Bringing Up Baby (1938), The Godfather (1972), Citizen Kane (1941), and Goodfellas (1990). I've enjoyed all of these films except Bringing Up Baby, starring Cary Grant and Catharine Hepburn. It had a slapstick vibe, which I just can't bring myself to appreciate. Cary Grant did a really nice job playing the "mild-mannered zoology professor Dr. David Huxley," though. And if you enjoy zany movies involving mistaken identities and runaway leopards, this movie is right up your alley.

I'm really looking forward to watching all these movies and reading up on the background behind them. I'm also excited that I've been able to restart my long-lost Netflix subscription and watch movies right on my computer.

Next movie up...Casablanca (1942).

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I'll totally watch Casablanca with you. It's one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

Is "To Kill a Mocking Bird" on your list? I just watched it this weekend with my sweetie at the historic Redford Theater. There was a pipeorgan playing before the movie and during intermission. Also, the actress who played the main character, Scout, was there. She answered questions from the audience during intermission. It was a blast! Anyway, I hope Mockingbird is on the list. If not, throw it away!

Lara said...

Yep, To Kill a Mockingbird is definitely on the list. I'm glad you guys had fun. And I'm jealous that you got to see Scout. That's awesome!!

Lacy said...

You are so ambitious.